Issue with Microsoft Outlook 2013 reconfiguring on every launch – XenDesktop / XenApp

In one of the recent XenDesktop 7 deployments, I was told that Outlook 2013 doesn’t launch well on Server 2012 Hosted Shared Catalogs by one of the end users.  Every time Outlook is started, it tries to reconfigure itself as if the Outlook profile isn’t there or it cant find the profile. This caused the Outlook plugins or add ins to fail giving errors. My customer setup was below

  • Outlook 2013 Professional Plus
  • XenDesktop 7.0
  • Server 2012 Hosted Shared Catalogs with Desktops and Apps

Resolution – I came across a Microsoft blog which was talking about how important “Windows Search” Service is for the full functionality of Outlook. I decided to give that a try and started the service and viola, the issue is gone and Outlook launches way faster after that.


This might be the same case for older versions of Outlook  and other XenApp versions. i haven’t tested them yet so cant comment.


microsoft office can’t find your license for this application. A repair attempt was unsuccessful or was cancelled. microsoft office will now exit – Resolved

Users getting the below error message while working in Office/Outlook. In our case, it was Outlook 2013 client.

microsoft office can’t find your license for this application.  A repair attempt was unsuccessful or was cancelled.  microsoft office will now exit



Fix is to start/restart the SOFTWARE PROTECTION service on the servers/clients from where Office is run.

In my case, it was a XenDesktop Hosted Shared catalog and faulty servers exhibited the below.



All I have to do is to restart the Software Protection service on the servers. the executable is sppsvc.exe. I had to open task manager to kill the exe before i could restart the service.


Microsoft Office 2013 outlook cannot provide form scripting support. This feature is not available. For more information, contact your system administrator

I have been asked to look into an issue with Outlook published in Citrix when users started getting error when they access files and folders within Outlook 2013 client. I have seen this happening before for older Outlook clients running on Citrix but never bothered to document it. But when I had the issue this time, it look me quite a few hours to figure out the correct GUID for MS Office 2013.

Firstly, I asked Google for the answer and there are tons of article explaining the fix but none of them worked for me as the GUID was incorrect in my case. Most of these articles are written for Outlook 2010 and below.

I went out hunting for the GUID and I figured it out from the C:\MSOCache folder. Note that this is a hidden folder so you need to enable hidden files to be able to view this. Under All Users folder, you can see a deluge of GUIDs from the Office installation and the one that I was looking for contained the below files. Though the issue was specifically for Outlook, the fix should be applied to the Office package itself


That’s all I need to run the command that fixes the issue. The command line is below

msiexec /i {90150000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE} ADDLOCAL=OutlookVBScript /qb

You can omit the -C towards the end of the GUID. The command ran successfully and users never reported the issue with Outlook again