Oracle Discoverer Issue in XenDesktop7 XP VDI – failed to update system registry, please try using REGEDIT


We have a XenDesktop 7 setup for one of our customers and they wanted to leverage Windows XP VMs to deliver some legacy Oracle apps to the users. One of the notorious ones from that suite was Oracle Discoverer Desktop which started to give an error message when launched by a “standard” (non-privileged) user in Citrix. The error message is below. The issue was however not exhibited by an administrator so it has got to be permission related.

Capture2

 

I did a fair bit of searching on the internet and came across a few fixes. The below is what fixed the issue for me.

Open Registry editor and make the below changes on the HKLM hive. I gave Authenticated Users full permissions to the below registry entries

 

MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\CLSID\{AD7CE4E0-C391-11CE-9C10-08002BE52B53}
MACHINE\Software\Classes\Discoverer.Application\CLSID
MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID\{AD7CE4E0-C391-11CE-9C10-08002BE52B53}
MACHINE\Software\Classes\{470A152C-5FC1-11D1-A434-0000F8AE4944}\LocalServer32
MACHINE\Software\MicroQuill\SmartHeap\SkipDLLs
MACHINE\Software\Classes\Discoverer.Application\CLSID
MACHINE\Software\Classes\Dis.Document
MACHINE\Software\Classes\.DIS

 

This should fix the Oracle error. Not all would see line item 4 in the registry so that can be ignored if not present.

 

Advertisements

Citrix Receiver Error – unable to launch as the application is not currently available


Environment

XenDesktop 7

Storefront 2.0

Catalog – Hosted Shared

Issue

Citrix Receiver throws an error “unable to launch as the application is not currently available” when attempting to launch published applications within a desktop session.

Capture14

Resolution

Check the status of the XML Service Trust settings for the XenDesktop site and XML Requests must be trusted and the value should be set to $true.

First load the XenDesktop PowerShell commandlets on the Desktop Delivery Controller server as below

asnp Citrix*

Check the status of the XML service Port request trust as below (the last item)

Get-BrokerSite

Capture15

Change the status of the trust request by running

Set-BrokerSite -TrustRequestsSentToTheXmlServicePort $true

Capture16

Verify the status by running Get-BrokerSite
Capture17

Test the connections